March 16, 2023 3:25 PM
Liberty Lake City Academy: Join our 8-part weekly series starting April 13 at City Hall.
Liberty Lake’s City Hall is inviting area residents to learn more about how their local government works by offering its first-ever City Academy, a weekly series that will kick off on Thursday, April 13.
The City Academy is an 8-part series that will offer residents a deep-dive understanding into how the city government and its services operate. Information at each weekly session will be provided directly by topic experts from the city’s staff as well as leaders from local partnering organizations.
The series will be offered on Thursday nights from April 13 through June 1 at the Council Chambers of Liberty Lake City Hall, located at 22710 E. Country Vista Drive in Liberty Lake. Each of the free presentations will start at 6 p.m. and is expected to be about 60 to 90 minutes.
The City Academy is especially idea for those who may be interested in running for an elected city position or applying to serve on a city board or commission.
The weekly schedule for the series is as follows:
• April 13: Form of Government, presented by Mayor Cris Kaminskas and city administrator Mark McAvoy
• April 20: Sources of Revenue, presented by city administrator Mark McAvoy and city finance director Kyle Dixon
• April 27: Land Use and Zoning, presented by members of the city’s Planning and Engineering Department
• May 4: Strategic Plan & Budget, presented by city administrator Mark McAvoy and city finance director Kyle Dixon
• May 11: Fire/Emergency Management Services and 911, presented by Chief Frank Soto Jr. of the Spokane Valley Fire Department and Communications & Media manager Kelly Conley of Spokane Regional Emergency Communications
• May 18: Law Enforcement and 911, presented by Chief Damon Simmons of the Liberty Lake Police Department and Communications & Media manager Kelly Conley of Spokane Regional Emergency Communications
• May 25: Utilities, with presenter to be determined
• June 1: Streets, Parks, and Solid Waste, presented by the city’s Operations and Maintenance director Jen Camp and staff member from WM
The 8-part series will be followed by a recognition ceremony on Thursday, June 8, at the Council Chambers starting at 6 p.m.
Those interested in attending the series may register ahead of time through the EventBrite link at the bottom of this announcement.
For questions about the City Academy series, please contact Liberty Lake city administrator Mark McAvoy at 281-677-1883 or email@example.com.